March 10, 2020 – Sturgeon Bay, WI. Today, leaders from Sturgeon Bay, Sevastopol, Gibraltar and Southern Door School Districts met with leaders from Door County Public Health and Door County Medical Center to enhance communication and collaboration in preparation for the Novel Coronavirus should the disease reach our area. According to the Wisconsin State Department of Health Services, our state remains at low risk. In Door County, the response will require true and close collaborations of the entire community in the event of an outbreak.
While COVID-19 is a new disease, it is spread the same way as many seasonal viruses, including influenza. Influenza and Influenza-like illness are currently at a high level in our area, and all of us would do well to do the following:
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer. Look for one that is 60% or higher alcohol-based.
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue (make sure to throw it away after each use!) or to cough and sneeze into your arm or elbow, not your hands. Teach kids to do the same.
- Clean and disinfect your home as usual using regular household disinfectants, paying special attention to frequently touched surfaces (doorknobs, countertops, etc)
For specific information on COVID-19, factual and informative websites recommended are:
The leaders who met today will continue in close communication and collaboration to plan, prepare, and keep you informed.
Erin Shortall, Communication Specialist/Public Information Officer